Saturday, March 24, 2012

Shakespeare Blog Post #3

Centering around the comments that were on the twitter feed on March 21st, there were a lot I found myself agreeing with. What I did not agree with however was the fact that his writing is very bad. It is true that it is hard to understand and fully comprehend, however, Shakespeare is one of the best writers in history, and therefore his writing is not and should not be defined as “very bad”.

I somewhat agree in terms of the writing style but about the time period I find a little questionable. Speaking for myself, I do not like studying Shakespeare because of the time period it was written in. For me, I do not care as to what time period it was written in as long as I can understand it or I can somewhat depict what he is trying to say. This is where the writing style comes in. I feel as though it is not because of the writing style per say, it is more of the language that is used that is hard to understand. This is the reason as to why I found this comment to be a little questionable. In terms of language though, because it evolves so much on a day to day bases,  it is hard for people like us, in this day and age to read a piece of literature all the way back from the sixteenth/seventeenth century. I am not saying it is entirely non-understandable, but that because of the language that is used, it is very challenging. Another thing in which I agree with and find challenging is that there are significant amounts of double meanings and mixed motives. I feel as though maybe because of our generation when we read something we do not actually sit there and analyze it. We read something to enjoy it or because we are told to. Therefore because Shakespeare has a significant amount of double meanings and mixed motives its hardtop comprehend. Sometimes what also happens is that because it is so hard to understand, I end up reading it over and over again which ultimately frustrates me and I lose complete interest.

            The only possible way I overcome reading a play by Shakespeare is just telling myself that I HAVE to read it and finish it matter how long or how much time it takes me to understand. Recently what I found myself doing is finding a modern day version of the play that translates the actual version of the play exactly. This way I spend less time sitting there and frustrating myself over the dialogue and can finish it in a short period of time.

Tweets I agreed with:
#ndns2012 shakespeare is hard and confusing to read
#ndns2012 Shakespeare is difficult do to the fact that language is evolving everyday, whether it is beneficial or not, it is always changing
#ndns2012 its too hard to understand so my short attention span loses interest
#NDNS2012 Shakespeare has too many double meanings and mixed motives. Gets muddled half the time.

Tweet I disagree with:
#ndns2012 shakespeares writing is very baddd and hard to understand

Tweet I somewhat agreed with:
#NDNS2012 Students don't like studying Shakespeare because of the writing style used and because of the time period it was written in.


No comments:

Post a Comment