Saturday, March 10, 2012

Post #1 for Shakespeare


Due to the fact that everyone has their very own play it is harder for an individual to rely on discussions that go on during the reading of the play in class. Given that this is my first time working on a play by Shakespeare independently; it will lead me to deciphering and or understanding the play for myself. In a way this is a better way of learning the material in my point of view. The reason being is such that this experience will give me the chance to create my own perspective and opinions about the play rather than letting other people’s opinions affect mine. Sometimes what I have seen in my classes that happen is that because the play is read out loud in class, the teacher stops at points and explains what is happening. This tends to lead into discussions and other classmates always have opinions about the characters and their actions or other things along those lines. For people such as me, who are quiet and more observant rather than the ones who participate in discussions, for the most part let others opinions and or point of view affect their own which makes everything bias and does not teach us anything. Therefore, I feel that having my own play to untangle will be a better way of learning without bias and relying on others.
Having my own play will also make me turn to more resources such as movies, modern day English novels of the play, audio readings, and of course the internet. The movies will help me to visualize the setting, the characters, the atmosphere, and evidently what is going on. While watching the movie however, I can also have the novel of the play in front of me so I can read along while visually see what is happening. Another way of deciphering the play is to find an electronic version which is in modern day English so that this way I can completely absorb the material in a language that is more familiar to me. I used this way of learning in my English class first semester when we were studying Hamlet and I found that it helped me out significantly and was a great source and technique. Finally the internet – it is a great way of doing research on the play and or background of it so that you have a clear understanding of what Shakespeare is trying to portray in our minds whilst reading it. Therefore I feel that if I use these methods and techniques I will successfully discover my play.

No comments:

Post a Comment