According to the article “10 Tech Skills Every Student Should Have”
there are a few skills in which I lack in. These tasks are self-learning of
tech and where to go for help, and hardware basics and troubleshooting. Usually
when I need help technology related, I just end up trying to figure it out for
myself. I do not read the manual whatsoever or go to search a help menu which
is mainly the reason why I lack in these areas. For the most part I usually
just fix whatever it is that I needed help with, but there have been certain
incidents where I did not know, and I had to ask my neighbor. In terms of hardware
basics and troubleshooting, I lack in the hardware department. I sometimes have
difficulties trying to figure out which piece of hardware is called what. Basic
troubleshooting such as for WiFi, networks, and things along those lines, I have
no problem figuring out.
Skills in which I can do very well include typing, office suite
skills, social media, security and safety, and backing up data. Typing is a
skill that was taught to me since I was little. Overtime I have progressed in
my typing skills and have become a lot faster and quicker. One of the main
reasons as to why I got so much practice when I was younger was because of
instant messaging (MSN). During that time MSN was something a lot of people had
(although they still do, but I have personally seen less and less people use it
nowadays). It was a great way that improved my typing skills. I can also type
without looking down at my keyboard which is a great skill to have. The reason
being is such that it helps me to write notes in class without constantly
looking at my keyboard and then back at the board. This not only saves time but
also gives me less of a headache.
For the most part I have decently efficient office suite skills. I am
very familiar with all programs of Microsoft Office, along with Google Docs. I
have done many assignments in which I have used all these therefore I have a
lot of experience with them. Google Docs I find to be a very good and time
efficient office suite. I have used it numerous times whether it was with a
couple of group members doing an assignment to having a shared document with my
teacher, in which he would edit, mark, and comment on my work. In terms of
Microsoft Office, I have used majority if not all programs various times.
Social media and security and safety are two things in which I find
kind of go hand in hand. The reason being is such that on a social media site
like Facebook, you need to be careful of what you share with your fellow peers.
Not only that but also on the media site itself, because you never know when or
how someone may hack you. This is where safety and security comes in. You need
to be careful of not putting too much information on your Facebook. This is not
only for safety reasons but for reasons for your employers so that they do not
come across something which you do not want them to see. I feel that I have
done a fairly good job so far in terms of keeping my personal, work, and social
life separate. I always try to be careful of what goes on any of my social media
pages, especially when it comes to pictures or anything of the sort. I never post
or give out too much information in fact I keep my information to a very minimum
as much as I can.
Backing up information is something I have been doing for a very long
time only because of the fact that I am paranoid of losing it. What I do is
either email it to myself, put it on a USB drive, or print it so that way I have
a hard copy of what I need. So far I feel as though I have done a fairly well job of backing up my information and getting access to it whenever I need. I hope to improve on the skills in which I lack and even improve if I can on the skills that I already have.
No comments:
Post a Comment